Clear all

Welcome to the Decentralizers Forum!  

Page 1 / 4

Larry Sanger
Admin
Topic starter
(@admin)

Hi everyone!

The purpose of this forum is to discuss decentralization of social media—and other content, such as encyclopedias, videos, and more. "Decentralization" means nobody is in control of the whole thing. It's just a neutral, technical network. You control who you interact with, who you block, etc. You also own your own identity and your own data. This is the libertarian concept that made the Internet take off in the first place.

You're probably here from Twitter. Welcome to you. Feel free to create an account and participate. There might be some problems the first few days as we figure out how to use this forum software.

All the best,
Larry

UPDATE: Please return tomorrow. Problems with account creation and logging in should hopefully be solved by then. Enjoy your Friday evening!

By the way, please feel free to start your own topics.

54 Replies
 Anonymous

Hi I'm French! I'm in a hurry to see the evolution!

2 Replies
Larry Sanger
Admin
(@admin)

@robin You and a lot of us, for sure.

Anonymous

@admin Having experienced social networks since a very young age, I had a period of moderation on the largest forum in Europe (Blabla15-18ans site:jeuxvideo.com), in many cases we experienced problems that are just now recognized on the biggest social media platforms.

Concerning the technical management of a large online community or even the Sociology of virtual communities

Larry Sanger
Admin
Topic starter
(@admin)

Let me know your thoughts! If you have trouble posting here for any reason, let me know on Twitter!

A good way to begin might be to introduce yourself (or not) and share your thoughts and feelings about recent events.

I also want to talk about nuts and bolts to make this here idea happen.

3 Replies
 Anonymous

@admin Larry,  great to 'see' you here!

Anonymous

@admin well i made it! I am @JamesEMorgan07 on Twitter 

I decided to use my computer chess engine name here!

I look forward to being on the ground floor here! Thxs again 

stretch23
(@stretch23)

Anonymous

An American crisis: a large group of influential people and media do not seem to understand the important foundation of America when it comes to free speech and access to information. Let's find a big solution!

2 Replies
wascal51
(@wascal51)

@sharylattkisson Aptly titled as the concept of free speech is the cornerstone of a free society. We are in crisis now where our traditional avenues of communication are now truncated. I am, however, excited about the prospect of effective decentralization. I never joined Twitter or Facebook as the concept of each is anathema to me and each now have demonstrated their agenda without doubt.

stretch23
(@stretch23)

@sharylattkisson Sharyl, I discovered this site from following you on twitter. I am sickened by big tech's attempts to control the flow of information. I cannot contribute anything other than my participation but I will gladly do that. Thanks to Larry for being a point man for the project.

Anonymous

Love it Larry, the community has the power to come up with real solutions and decentralize the current transfer of information into something better. Is this the first domino? We've witnessed some crucial moments in history recently, going forward is a group effort that will be beyond our wildest imaginations. 

About me: Music enthusiast who has spent 6+ years in liberal arts institutions, lived in china for a while and made it out alright, and like to have discussions about comparing and contrasting the experiences.  

Looking forward to the discussions here, and meeting those who are as well.

3 Replies
Larry Sanger
Admin
(@admin)

@magdalene Absolutely. And it's no ordinary community. I have the ear of leaders at Minds, BitChute, MeWe, Parler, Rumbler, and many more. I'm going to try to get us all moving toward a true, robustly decentralized network. It won't be instant.

Anonymous

@admin I just had to drop from the TimCastIRL stream on YouTube but it was great to get Bill Ottman's (Minds CEO) perspective on today's purge.  Worth a listen when (if) it hits the podcast RSS

Larry Sanger
Admin
(@admin)

@chip I'll try to get Bill to join us here.

Anonymous

Thanks for the invite, Larry.  Happy to find a new commons.

1 Reply
Larry Sanger
Admin
(@admin)

@chip Welcome!

Anonymous

Hi Larry.

I had three pleasure of meeting you in Memphis at Lausanne, when I say at your table for lunch. I've been following you for a while on Twitter, but... You know.

I am an educator from Illinois, with my M. Ed. in both Educational Technology and Digital Learning. And I have never been more distrusting of technology than I am this week. It breaks my heart to see the direction we're moving in as a country.

1 Reply
Larry Sanger
Admin
(@admin)

@rknsnr I remember visiting Lausanne. Long time ago now!

Nobody distrusts technology more than technologists, that's for sure.

Anonymous

Hello,

I’m an expert in peer-to-peer, cryptography, networking, and software. 

I recently founded a nonprofit foundation dedicated to protecting individual rights and freedoms through open technology. We’re still waiting for our IRS 501c3 clearance, and under the circumstances I’m keeping myself and the foundation anonymous for now.

Like all of you, I assume, I’ve been horrified by the overt censorship of big tech. Frankly, I thought we had more time. 

We have lost the public forum, and we must act quickly now. In the next few months, we’ll be releasing a platform for distributed, secure, and private communications. 

That’s not fast enough. So, we’re now scrambling on an emergency plan to help individuals create refuges like this one with very little technical skill. 

We’ll be in touch here and those other places. 

Anonymous

Welp, I'm just a weeb who likes anime and video games and who's trying to learn how to write, but after what happened today, I refuse to be a part of the problem that is Twitter any longer. I'm looking into web hosting if anyone has any recommendations for a newbie on the best places to purchase a domain name or host a very small blog. I'm already on Gab and will be attempting to use that to replace Twitter where possible, but though I think it's the best current social media option, I also recognize that Gab is only one step in the right direction as it's still a centralized platform. I'm also looking forward to anything that will be happening in the future to replace Wikipedia.

Anonymous

I love the free exchange of ideas including the ones I don't like so this day has decidedly shaken my belief that such a thing is possible. I hope I am wrong and this could be the lifeboat for that freedom.

Page 1 / 4
Share: